Rail Quality Improvement Technician
Company: Disability Solutions
Posted on: September 13, 2023
DescriptionPOSITION SUMMARYUnder supervision, monitors the
quality of repairs and maintenance work performed on Rail Vehicles
at the Authority's Rail Vehicle Maintenance and Terminal
- Inspects repair, servicing and maintenance work performed on
Authority Rail Equipment. This is done by on site physical
inspection, and determines the quality and reliability of
workmanship and compliance with predetermined standards.
- Inspects new and reconstructed rail vehicle components, units
and parts from shops and outside workers. This is done by on site
physical inspection and is done to ensure compliance with Authority
- Instructs and counsels terminal personnel in proper repair
procedures and techniques and, if necessary, refers employees to
the Maintenance Training Center for additional Training. This is
done by one on one, on the job instruction to ensure that the
repairer or servicer understands his or her job function.
- Compiles and evaluates data pertaining to inspection activities
and prepares reports which convey inspection findings and
recommendations. After all physical inspections the results are
compiled and given to management personnel so they have a record of
Quality Improvements findings.
- Assists in the development of Quality Improvement Programs and
in the evaluation of existing repair procedures and techniques. By
actually performing the repair procedures they are more effectively
- Assists in determining causative factors contributing to
equipment or component failure and notifies appropriate Technical
Services or shop personnel or outside contractor or vendor. This is
done by physical inspection of failed components or parts and is
done to ensure that either procedures or specifications are
- Responds to the scene of all rail incidents, accidents and
unusual occurrences. Investigates and resolves technical problems
related to the situation. Develops corrective action to prevent
recurrence and monitors implementation.
- When Emergency Fleet Retrofits are needed, will assist with the
investigation to find the cause of the part failure.
- Performs related duties as assigned.SUPERVISORY
RESPONSIBILITIESReporting to this position may include the
following jobs:Job TitleCHALLENGES
- Must be able to read and interpret wiring diagrams, technical
drawings, and instructions
- Will be working in Rail Vehicle Maintenance Facilities and must
have a knowledge of the types of work, work methods, procedures and
duties performed by terminal Rail Vehicle Maintenance personnel,
e.g., repairers, servicers, electricians, carpenters, mechanics,
- Will be giving on the job training to employees and must be
familiar with Authority training programs for terminal and shop
- Will be working in all shops, terminals, yards and on the right
of way. Must be familiar with all shop and terminal locations, and
must have knowledge of Authority and departmental safety rules and
regulations dealing with these areas.
- Will be obtaining current and historical car data from
terminals and must be familiar with CTA MMIS
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, or a
combination of education and experience relating to this position,
or equivalent military experience.
- Five (5) years of experience in rail vehicle maintenance and
- Required to submit to and pass drug and alcohol testing
mandated by the Federal Transit Administration.
- Must obtain Rail Safety Training certification.
- Valid Illinois driver's license and be authorized to use
personal vehicle for CTA business.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to ascend and descend stairs and normal obstacles
in a Rail Vehicle Maintenance Facility
- Must be able to traverse on the right of way when responding to
Rail Vehicle emergencies.
- Chicago Transit Authority requires all employees to be COVID-19
vaccinated. If you are offered employment, you must provide proof
of full COVID-19 vaccination or proof that you are in the process
of becoming fully vaccinated as part of the hiring process and as a
condition of employment. Visit www.transitchicago.com/careers
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read and interpret wiring diagrams, technical
drawings, and instructions.
- Ability to write and express oneself in a clear, logical and
- Ability to work with all levels of Authority personnel and
outside contractors, and must have suitable temperament and
disposition to maintain amiable relations with these people.WORKING
- Subject to all types of weather and Right of Way
- Subject to the usual Rail Shop and terminal hazards and
- May be required to travel to manufacturing and assembly plants
to assist with new vehicle inspections and off site contract
- May be required to carry a CTA phone.
- Must be available to respond to calls or email inquires outside
of regular work hours.
- Travels to various vendor and CTA's field locations.
- Required use of personal auto and required to be able to list
CTA as co-insured for company mileage.EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, AND
- Standard office equipment.
- Desktop and laptop computers, hand and power tools, electrical
and mechanical test equipment such as multimeters and RT
- Rail Vehicle Computerized Diagnostic Equipment such as Portable
Test Unit (PTU) and associated software.Additional DetailsPlease
note, employees and/or union members will be given priority
consideration in the hiring process, per the applicable labor
contracts.Rate to be determined by applicant's entered service date
and service date in union jurisdiction of this classification.CTA
IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERNo employee or applicant for
employment will be discriminated against because of race, color,
creed, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, sexual
orientation, ancestry, age, unfavorable military discharge,
disability or any other status protected by federal, state, or
local laws; except where a bona fide occupational qualification
exists We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for
our workforce and supporting the communities we serve. CTA will
make reasonable accommodations for the known disabilities of
otherwise qualified applicants for employment as well as its
employees, unless undue hardship would result. If you require an
accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact
email@example.com prior to the submission of your application
or upon notification of your actual test date. CTA will work with
you to determine if an accommodation can be provided.TO BE
CONSIDERED APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED IN THEIR ENTIRETY
- UPLOADED RESUME / WORK HISTORY
- JOB ASSESSMENT QUESTIONSINFORMATION PROVIDED MUST BE ACCURATE
Keywords: Disability Solutions, Skokie , Rail Quality Improvement Technician, Professions , Skokie, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!