Senior Chemical Process Modeling and Simulation Engineer
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Mission-driven LanzaTech is a revolutionary solution to climate
change, capturing pollution to clean our skies and oceans and
create new high value products for a sustainable future. LanzaTech
captures pollution to make fuels and chemicals, including
sustainable jet fuel and products you use every day. The technology
is like retrofitting a brewery onto an emission source like a steel
mill or a landfill site, but instead of using sugars and yeast to
make beer, pollution is converted by biology to fuels and
chemicals! Imagine a day when your plane is powered by recycled
emissions, when your yoga pants started life as pollution from a
steel mill. This future is possible using LanzaTech technology.
- 2021 Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels,
Chemicals & Biomaterials
- 2020 Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the
- 2020 Fast Company World Changing Company
- 2020 CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list
- 2019 Chicago Innovation Awards Winner
- 2019 Fortune Magazine - Change the World - Companies to
- 2019 Kirkpatrick Chemical Engineering Achievement Award
- LanzaTech is committed to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion as part
of our mission, culture & core values
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the
United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is
an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability,
or veteran status.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Chemical Process
Modeling and Simulation Engineer to support innovative process
technology development and commercialization initiatives using
advanced process modeling tools. We are looking for an experienced
advanced degree Chemical Engineer to develop both first principal
and empirically based process models based to support scale-up and
process intensification technology development efforts. These
models will be used to produce millions of tons of fuels and
chemical intermediates via heterogeneous catalysis in numerous
process plants worldwide.
The individual selected for this position will lead the modeling
and process development engineering efforts to upgrade the products
from ethanol to commercial chemicals and fuels. Determination of
needed process intensifications combined with established refining
and petrochemical processing principles will lead to LanzaTech's
ability to scale up and commercialize new product technology.
Initial responsibilities include project ownership for the chemical
process design, modeling, intensification and project integration
to fuels and chemicals. This position will participate on
cross-functional global teams.
- Incorporate knowledge and data for transport properties,
kinetics, and thermodynamics for heterogeneous catalytic reactions
into reaction engineering simulations and models.
- Provide guidance and incorporate learnings from bench- and
demonstration-scale experimental process development programs, and
translate experimental findings to commercial applications.
- Maintain and improve existing suite of modeling tools to
support R&D, Sales, and Field Operations.
- Design and continually enhance data feedback and transfer
mechanisms to simulation models to provide advanced performance
monitoring tools for commercial and demonstration scale
- Integrate reactor based process and simulation models with
user-oriented customer-facing tools for advanced process control
and key performance indicator (KPI) monitoring.
- Maintain process flow diagrams via reactor models to define and
improve heat and material balance knowledge of the process
- Maintain effective communication with project team members and
with the customer
- Work with internal and external customers to identify, evaluate
and optimize process solutions related to process modeling,
R&D, optimization, design, costing and implementation
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in Chemical Engineering or related engineering or
scientific discipline developing kinetic and reactor modeling of
heterogeneous catalyst systems.
- 10+ years of process modeling and simulation experience for
commercial plant support, process development experience in
Refining (preferably fuels) with an engineering company, technology
licensor or a chemical producer company
- Advanced knowledge in chemical kinetics, transport phenomena,
and thermodynamics applied to heterogeneous catalysis.
- Skilled with industry standard simulation program such as Aspen
Plus, HYSYS and similar process modeling software
- Advanced knowledge of both steady-state and dynamic process
- Experience in kinetic, transport, and reaction engineering
modeling with a commercial focus in refining, petrochemical, and/or
gas processing applications.
- Demonstrated skills in flowsheet synthesis and
- Demonstrated experience translating experimental program data
to modeling & technology development efforts.
- Demonstrated skills in working with large experimental data
sets used for model development.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills with ability to
parse complex technical problems.
- Demonstrated experience in design, execution and analysis of
experiments or scale up of processes.
- Demonstrated experience in process intensification of
equipment, methodology and sustainability.
- Working knowledge of process instrumentation and control
- Skills with commercial estimating software such as AspenTech
Capital Cost Estimator or In-Plant Cost Estimator
- Practical knowledge of conceptual estimating procedures and
- Detail-oriented and experienced in communicating instructions
to other team members.
- Team player that thrives in a cutting edge, fast paced,
- Strong organizational, time management, and communication
- Experience with "Stage Gate" or "FEL" engineering process
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work
- Advanced MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of fermentation and gasification technology a
Keywords: LanzaTech, Skokie , Senior Chemical Process Modeling and Simulation Engineer, Other , Skokie, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!