Payroll Assistant CE&T
Company: Oakton Community College
Posted on: January 21, 2023
Continuing Ed, Training and Workforce Development
Jul 14, 2022
Feb 28, 2023 - 11:59 PM EST
Part Time Staff
About Oakton College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where
thousands begin or continue their college or career studies.
Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more
than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life
for everyone who enters its doors.
Educate . Transform . Empower .
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Process the day-to-day payroll and HR activities of the Adult
Education department; including, but not limited to, processing
payroll, onboarding of new instructors, and certifications &
terminations for the State University Retirement System. Assist the
Accounting & Payroll Coordinator, CE&T and serve as back up
payroll resource for other Alliance departments as needed.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process bi-weekly payroll; including review of bi-weekly
payroll process queries, assigning of position codes, labor
redistributions, spreadsheets, and forms.
- Prepare, issue, track, and collect instructor contracts.
- Ensure compliance with contracts and standards using relevant
information. Maintain confidentiality.
- Verify salary authorization information, compute salaries and
calculate supplemental pay.
- Onboard instructors including providing guidance for new hire
paperwork, contract overview, and Oakton systems.
- Enter data in the Human Resources Information System related to
instructors' records. Collect and process new instructor paperwork.
Process instructor changes such as salary, contact information
updates, W-4 deductions, etc.
- Process SURS certifications, terminations, and retirements for
SURS online. Determine whether instructors meet SURS criteria.
- Provide training to Adult Education instructors regarding
payroll operation guidelines and appropriate dissemination and
processing of information. Responds to inquiries by telephone, in
written form, e-mail, or in-person.
- Assist with fiscal year rollover process.
- Assist in managing and maintaining documentation and storage of
Instructor files and payroll records, including but not limited to
Document Imaging and Iron Mountain.
- Serve as backup payroll contact in the absence of Accounting &
- Perform other special projects and job related duties as
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Associates degree required in Human Resources, Business,
Accounting or a related field, or an equivalent combination of
education and experience from which comparable knowledge and
abilities can be acquired is required.
- Two years of payroll processing experience is required.
Experience with Banner is strongly preferred.
- One year of experience working with Human Resources Information
Systems (HRIS) is desired.
- A high level of analytical, problem solving, interpersonal and
communication skills are required. Must be able to regularly
explain policies, train others, write and edit reports and
coordinate the work of others. Must be able to maintain
- Requires the ability to mentally attend to and visually
concentrate on a substantial amount of detail work.
- Intermediate word processing and advanced spreadsheet
application skills are required. Intermediate competencies in the
use of personal computer software including database, macros, and
formula authoring skills are preferable.
- Incumbent may be asked to lift and carry up to 20 pounds.
- Must have the ability to travel to and between campuses.
- Work is done in a general office work environment with little
or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Functional supervision is received from the Accounting & Payroll
Administrative supervision is received from the Director of
Operations & Administration.
Functional supervision may be exercised over student employees.
HOURS: Monday through Thursday 9:00 am - 3:15 pm
**This is a temporary grant position and continued employment, is
based on the successful renewal of the grant.
Based on the needs of the college and with Administrator approval,
some positions at the college may have remote or hybrid schedule
options available. Please note, that during the 65 working day
probationary period, employees are required to report to
Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select
the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of,
at least, three (3) professional references with contact
information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of
the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative
action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified
individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability,
age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or
gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and
participation in its educational programs, college activities and
services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without
notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are
Keywords: Oakton Community College, Skokie , Payroll Assistant CE&T, Human Resources , Skokie, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!