Product Test Engineer
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Tenneco is one of the world's leading designer, manufacturers
and marketers of automotive products for original equipment and
aftermarket customers, with approximately 78.000 team members
working at more than 300 sites worldwide. Through our four business
groups, Motorparts, Ride Performance, Clean Air and Powertrain,
Tenneco is driving advancements in global mobility by delivering
technology solutions for diversified global markets, including
light vehicle, commercial truck, off-highway, industrial,
motorsport and the aftermarket.
The Skokie Test and Engineering Labs provide functional testing and
data collection on finished manufactured parts or components,
utilizing actual engines, engine components, or specialized test
equipment and fixtures. The labs are involved with early
development of application design and accelerated life testing of
gaskets and other components. The Product Test Engineer's
responsibilities include setting up test samples, engines or
fixtures, installing test part samples, performing test work,
providing test data and any relevant observations or analysis on
conclusions. Various levels of maintaining the test equipment,
engines, fixtures, and systems are also part of these
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: (Other duties may be
- The Product Test Engineer is responsible for receiving test
requests and communicating with the requesters to fully understand
the test request and critical test parameters on functional testing
as well as material and/or other reverse-engineering data
- The Product Test Engineer will locate and/or fabricate the
relevant test fixtures, assemble the required plumbing, install the
test gaskets or components, perform testing or data collection, and
provide insight into analyzing the results and how it relates to
- Throughout the process, the Product Test Engineer will inspect
and maintain the fixturing and test systems, perform all required
test work, and document all observations and test data.
- After the test is completed the Product Test Engineer will
perform all EOT (end of test) work, remove the test components,
document all test results, close out the test request, compile the
test data, and inform the test requester that the test has been
- The Product Test Engineer is directed in his activities by the
Engineering Manager or the Senior Product Test Engineer responsible
for the area of testing where he is working.
- As a member of the engineering team, the Product Test Engineer
contributes to maintaining a clean and safe working environment in
the laboratory and assists in providing laboratory tours and test
explanations to laboratory guests.
Qualifications - Required Skills:
- Has good mechanical knowledge, can interpret manuals, and apply
proper techniques to the installation and removal of parts,
assemblies, and test gaskets.
- Proficient in the setup, operation and maintenance of lab test
equipment and standard test procedures.
- Able to read and interpret complex machine and product drawings
(familiarity with GD&T)
- Capable of learning and operating sophisticated lab test
equipment such as MTS Load Frames and other technical measurement
- Physically able to lift components weighing up to 50 lb.,
torque engine bolts/fasteners to 150 ft-lb. and move engines or
pallet boxes to and from storage areas using pallet trucks (50
yards or more).
- Designs and fabricates fixtures as directed by supervisor (may
include cutting, drilling, welding, plumbing, and electrical).
- Performs equipment and systems maintenance, diagnostics and
calibration as required.
- Clarifies test request information and fosters good
communication with the test requester, who typically is from the
- Performs all testing and completes test request documentation
at EOT, and has the ability to provide insight into how results may
impact product design.
- Documents test observations and brings unusual occurrences to
Senior Test Engineer staff and/or requesting engineer's
- Maintains lab equipment certifications, calibrations and other
records as required
- Familiar with frequently used corporate (MS Office) and test
- Practices good housekeeping and safety in the operation,
maintenance, and storage of test equipment.
- Helps with test management responsibilities when
- Capable of providing support as requested by supervisor and
work independently completing work in a timely manner.
- Capable of developing new measurement and testing techniques as
requested by the engineering team
- Works with inter-company and external supplier resources to
coordinate off-site testing activity
- Safety is Priority One in all activities
- Fabrication Skills
- Mechanical Assembly Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Communication Skills
- Reads, Understands, and Follows Test Procedures and Part
- Test Equipment and Systems Operation and Maintenance
- Team Player
- Customer and Quality Focused
- Follows Corporate Code of Conduct and Integrity
Desirable Educational / Work Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a technical engineering
discipline - Mechanical preferred
- Technical or hands-on experience in automotive industry - prior
test and/or quality lab experience highly preferred
- Has knowledge of common metrology techniques and understands
the right methods for collection of various measurements
- Has prior experience complying to industry standards
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated
against on the basis of disability.
Nearest Major Market: Chicago
Keywords: Tenneco, Skokie , Product Test Engineer, Engineering , Skokie, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!